Saturday, December 20, 2008

Day Eighty-One: Pine Cone

You can live for years next door to a big pine tree, honored to have so venerable a neighbor, even when it sheds needles all over your flowers or wakes you, dropping big cones onto your deck at still of night.
~Denise Levertov
Pine Cone:  December 20, 2008
I have always loved pine trees. I grew up with them in Arkansas, East Texas, and northwest Louisiana. Pine cones and pine needles were a regular part of my childhood (especially in East Texas, at my grandparent's house) and easily worked their way into the games my brother and I played. There are a few around where I live now, but I live in the city, so it's very different from the way I shared space with pine trees as a child. I don't know that I could live in the country at this point in my life (I do love the city and even wish I lived in a bigger city), but I miss having trees around.

No comments: